Interested in becoming a volunteer?
Volunteer support is crucial to SHFL and enables us to achieve our mission of providing services and support to those in our community who are impacted by sexual violence, domestic violence child abuse, and human trafficking.
If you are looking for a rewarding and meaningful way to give of your time, we are always looking for volunteers to help!
To become a volunteer, you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Be removed from your own personal crisis situation
- Submit an application form and attend an interview to establish placement
- Attend an agency orientation and basic training on domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, and human trafficking
- Attend any additional specialized training needed to work directly with clients
- Pass a criminal background check
- Sexual Assault Volunteer Advocate: Responding to sexual assault survivors at area hospitals and providing emotional support and information. Shifts are available on nights, weekends and holidays.
- Daytime Crisis Line Volunteers: Answering our 24-hour hotline during the day and providing emotional support and information to callers. Shifts are available during business hours and must take place in one of our area offices.
- Web Chat Support Volunteers: Coverage of our web chat resource, providing emotional support and information regarding SHFL services. Web chat is answered remotely, from your home or can be answered at one of our offices during business hours.
- Family Court Volunteer: Accompanying individuals to family court and providing emotional support and information. These shifts are available during business hours.
*Volunteers interested in any direct service opportunities must complete SHFL's 50-hour training. The training is made up of online instruction done at the volunteer's own pace, as well as live, in-class instruction.
- Tabling at health and volunteer fairs and other events
- Office projects - mailing, preparing materials for trainings or conferences
- Filing and other administrative tasks
- Assistance with fundraising events
- Special projects and awareness events – Shine the Light Walk, agency Christmas program, etc.
To apply online, click the "Online Application" button below. Once your application is received, the volunteer coordinator will be in contact for an interview.
Safe Harbors of the Finger Lakes, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against volunteer applicants with regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, disability, or any other unlawful bias.